Monday, August 6, 2012

Summer Fruit Pie

Over the weekend, I rediscovered a temporarily forgotten recipe that deserves an award for being one of the easiest, most refreshing desserts ever: summer berry pie.


The recipe comes from the cookbook Lickety Split Meals by Zonya Foco, a nutritionist who has a cooking show that's on PBS sporadically. As cookbooks go, it has a bare-bones kind of style that's the polar opposite of the type of lavishly produced, image-heavy cookbooks that typically appeal to me (like this one or this one), but what it lacks in style it makes up in content, featuring a lot of good ideas for easy and healthy recipes.

This summer berry pie is made by layering slices of banana, peaches/ nectarines, strawberries, and blueberries in a pre-made graham cracker crust. Then a mixture of strawberry gelatin (dissolved in water), vanilla instant pudding mix, and skim milk is poured over the fruit. Chill for a couple hours and enjoy a sweet and light dessert.

I have a feeling I'll be using every excuse in the book to whip up one of these. Monday night treat? Sounds about right to me.

2 comments:

  1. Looks delicious and sounds so easy! My favorite kind of recipe. Thanks for giving us this great tip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm...I love berry desserts. And easy ones especially!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails