Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Dogs

Inside of a Dog by Alexandra Horowitz first caught my eye shortly after I got Millie and I've been wanting to read it ever since. It's all about how dogs perceive the world, what they can sense, how they interact with other dogs, and how they bond with humans.

It was a pretty interesting read. I could have done with a tad fewer of the scientific studies of other animal groups, like apes and bees, that the books goes into, but overall the author has a funny writing style and is clearly a dog lover. Little stories about her life with her own dog are interspersed throughout the book. I don't necessarily see Millie in a whole new way, but I did glean a few new insights into her behavior. Turns out that what she's doing as I write this- barking at me, climbing on and off of my chest, and trying to lick my eye- is actually a play signal.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails