Monday, September 13, 2010

A New Way to Eat Beets

The place where I work gives everyone $150 for a dinner out on their five year anniversary with the company. It makes it a little easier to swallow the bitter pill that is the fact that I've been at my job longer than I got to be at college. So unjust. Anyway, I went our for my dinner last week, back to Dish, a restaurant I've been to and enjoyed before.

One of the specials they had, which I obviously tried, was beet cavatelli. Cavatelli is already one of my favorite pasta shapes, and this was made from my favorite vegetable. The pasta was dark red from the beets and tasted pretty good. The dish on the whole was a little bit salty, probably because it had speck in it, which I learned is a type of Italian ham similar to prosciutto. I hadn't even realized that that was one of the ingredients before I ordered. The excitement ringing in my ears when I heard about the beets must have distracted me from everything else.


We also tried some interested appetizers, like sweet potato spring rolls:


Bacon-wrapped shrimp with grits:


And deep fried spinach, which was really light, delicately crisp, and just a little bit salty.

To top it off I got a delicious, though somewhat unphotogenic, white and dark chocolate bread pudding.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails