Sunday, December 27, 2009

Christmas Eve Dinner

Before celebrating with our extended clan of relatives on Christmas Day, my family traditionally celebrates Christmas Eve ourselves by going to mass, having dinner at home, and opening some presents. Since I've started to like to cook in recent years, I've taken over the task of making the dinner. I usually try to do something that's a little bit elegant to make it a special occasion. This year's meal came out especially delicious, if I do say so myself.

For the salad, I added pomegranate seeds and gorgonzola cheese to some greens. For the main course, I made butternut squash tortelloni (a Giada recipe).

It was pretty labor-intensive. It took me a good 45 minutes just to wrestle with peeling and chopping the squash. I used wonton wrappers for the pasta, and filling and shaping them was a bit of a slow process too. It was worth it, though, and came out really good in the end.

For dessert I made panna cotta (another Giada recipe- she really does not disappoint). This is one of my favorites. It takes only a few simple ingredients to make, but seems like a really fancy dessert and has the most wonderful, delicate flavor of cream and honey. I need to find more excuses to make this throughout the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails