Monday, August 3, 2009

I Highly Recommend...


I read The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society based on my mom’s recommendation. Actually, more based on the fact that she got the book from the library, read it, and liked it so much that she went out and bought a copy to keep.

My expectations weren't that high going into this book, mostly because it’s had such mainstream success (sad, I know). Luckily, it exceeded my expectations and I really can’t say enough good things about it. The story is relatively traditional and you pretty much know where the plot is heading, but in a way that’s comforting, not stale. The characters are charming and well written. It’s such an overall enjoyable book that I sunk into a state of gloom when I finished it and was left without any more of it to read! I might even include this among my top 25 books of ALL TIME. Speaking of which…I may have to think about compiling that list for a future post.


Side note: I also just finished Spiral Hunt by Margaret Ronald. It’s a fantasy/ sci-fi book that I read because the author is a hometown neighbor of a friend. It blended real life with magical elements in the same way as books like Harry Potter or Twilight and made good use of Boston as it’s setting, which I enjoyed. It’s not enough to turn me into a sci-fi fanatic, but it was an entertaining read, especially for the summer.

1 comment:

  1. I'm a littl over halfway through this book after reading your recommendation of it, and I love it. Plain and simple. I love the characters and the format and the fact that it was written by an aunt and her niece. Great recommendation, thanks!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails